Sunday, April 29, 2018

Product Impression - Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus


Before anything else, I'm going to say that I pretty much prefer android phones for personal use. Nothing against IOS and Apple fans, but it's just a matter of preference which is directly affected by what I use my smartphone for. That's why I'm on the look out for new releases and if I deem them attention-worthy, I'm going to write about it. And in this article, the Samsung Galaxy S9 priced at $720 and S9 Plus priced at $840 really caught my attention.

As planned, I'm going to make a simple break down of things for my product impression articles. It's going to be composed of three main points of discussions: Specs and Performance, and Use (this section is just a discussion of what I would use the product for if I have it)

Specs and Performance
My first impression of the general specifications of the S9 and S9 Plus is that they're very much an upgrade of its predecessors. The super AMOLED displays 5.8-inch (S9) and 6.2-inch (S9+) displays with high pixel densities (570ppi for S9 and 529ppi for S9+) are superb. The screens are quite large though which makes the phone quite unconfortable to be placed in the pockets of your jeans.

Both versions run on Oreo Android 8.0 using an Exynos 9810 chipset with a Mali-G72 MP18 GPU. In addition, it packs 6gb of RAM which means that multi-tasking is never going to be an issue. Additionally, these babies come in with a large phone storage where a 64GB internal memory size is the smallest you can go. Personally, I think the storage sizes come that way in order to accommodate video file sizes.

The cameras in these units are selected quite nicely. However, the lenses are not exceptional and in my opinion could still be better. However, video recording quality may be expected to be great since video resolutions go up to 2160p@60fps. This would be like having an HD Video recorder with crisp slow-motion footage capabilities that fit in your hand.

Use (What would I use it for?)
Considering the specs and prices these Galaxy Phones offer top rated performances. In line with such, I could think of a lot of uses for them (if I could get my grubby mitts on one). And here's a list of the most productive things I would do with them coming off the top of my head as I'm writing this article.


  1. Hand-held research - As a business and marketing consultant, doing research is part of my work routine. The specs are greater than most of the typical office desktop. These smartphones would suit my daily work magnificently as an extremely portable computer that's perfect for doing research, reading trends, and keeping myself updated with market situations.
  2. Making videos - As I mentioned, the phones have recording resolutions going up to 2160p at 60 frames per second. This feature alone would allow me to make the best and sharpest looking videos. The frame rate makes the videos even better because it sets the difference between a good video and a spectacular one. It also allows making smooth slow-mo videos which is perfect for  making advertisements and content.
  3. Video and Photo Editing - HD photo and video processing would be a walk in the park. The GPU, RAM, and octacore chipset enables the S9 and S9+ to have processing power which is more than enough than the requirements for photo-video processing softwares even in the PC platform. I expect that rendering effects, trimming, and fine tuning is cakewalk.
  4. Mobile Games - Playing is a part of my daily life. So it is definitely going on this list of what I'd use the Galaxy S9 and S9+ for. In all honesty, I did a short search of the requirements for most high end games and I can safely conclude that the specs of these phones are way above the requirements of most mobile games to run on the highest settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment